More or Less Guns? Change My Mind 🤷‍♂️



Everything is about guns now a days. Why are we talking about guns though? Are they the killers? Obviously not. The person behind the weapon is where we should focus. To be able to pick up a gun and aim it at someone takes guts and insanity, both of which all Americans are slowly growing. I believe that we as a country have been lacking on keeping a tighter control on our people. We are such a free country it hurts us sometimes. Sometimes I blame social media for these incidents, but I realize that all of the exchange students have a life online that is similar to mine and the majority of my peers. We all see the edgy memes, we all look at some of the same posts and yet they still don't have as many shootings as the United States. Therefore I semi-cancelled out social media as a reason for the mass amounts of shootings here, so why in America are there so many school shootings? In a New York Times article, they speak on how Germany has mass shootings, despite the strict laws. In Germany you must take a psychological test and be properly trained on how to handle the weapon with respect. The key in the situation seems to be focusing on mental health. In 1992, we had about 5 times more firearm dealers than we do now. There was more accessibility to them and they were just as easy to get. After the assault weapon ban of 1994, shootings have only gone up.

To me, this seems so odd that there are much more deaths now, than when there were so many stores to purchase weapons. As the stores close, people who have an obsession with getting a firearm then turn to the black market, where they can get their favorite equipment for half off. In the black market there are no background checks and anyone can get a gun if they want. To stop this, I simply believe we can't fear the gun, but more so accept the invention and work on how we monitor who has a gun. As nice as it may seem to get rid of guns, we already invented them and there is no way they are all going away. Either people will build them themselves, smuggle them, or just refuse to give up the gun they currently own. People in America are selfish and it will take generations to bring guns to a minimum. Honestly, I am stuck on how to solve this. I thought there would be a mind to change but now I believe someone needs to help explain this to me more. There are stats for every side and good  reasons. Overall, the one thing I know we need is more mental health awareness and better background checks/tests to ensure one is capable of owning a weapon.

Comments

Popular Posts