Does Social Media Keep High Fashion Companies Around?


Image result for Lil baby iPersonally, yes. Social media does keep high fashion companies around because half of these companies wouldn't be here without these celebrities posting themselves wearing their clothes. Whenever a celebrity is seen wearing a certain kind of clothing, it is immediately photographed and described on snap chat the next day. I literally just when onto Daily Mail on snap chat and the first article states, "Kylie, 21, looked stunning in a beige Calvin Luo satin crinkle dress and stylish shades with her hair tied into a plaited ponytail adorned with crosses and hoops." If I read this as a parent, I would look at myself and think no wonder my kid wants all of this Gucci. With all of this influence at such a young age it creates these brand fiends that will spend hundreds of dollars and hours just trying to get their hands on the latest stuff. I even have spent way to much on unnecessary clothing items because of the appeal of them and I can probably trace back to when I came across the same brand on social media. Everything now a days has a platform and since social media has been around, it seems as if these clothing companies just get bigger and more powerful as time goes on. For example, Supreme has been around for 29 years but yet I did not know what it was until I got Instagram and same with many other people I know. These companies flourish on the internet which is why I believe that social media keeps these companies around.

Comments

  1. I agree that famous people advertising through social media is a huge industry, but it's also worth mentioning that not all large brands stop there. I'm off of social media, but just because everyone else wears these "famous" brands and the media takes great care to display certain clothes, I'm just as susceptible to fall prey to advertising as anyone on social media. Your analysis was absolutely correct, the fact that we are influenced by each other and not just insta models and famous people on snapchat is also important and goes hand in hand with this issue. These high fashion companies are making money and cultivating popularity in more ways than one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reading this blog, I must agree that social media contributes to the success of many of these high brand companies. I hope that my future child won't have to be so heavily influenced by this type of media.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think social media does keep high fashion companies around. Because how else would we see Louis Vuitton or Gucci other than on a runway. We most likely wouldn't. If this were the case many people other than celebrities wouldn't try to buy so many things from high fashion brands.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You definitely make a good point that social media is the current largest platform for high end fashion brands today. In previous years you might see the world’s biggest and trendiest celebrities wearing designer clothing every once in a while during an award show, but that would be it, unless you made an effort to watch actual fashion shows. Social media, especially hypebeast culture is what keeps these brands in business nowadays, since the majority of these brands would most likely have gone out of business in the past couple years if these trendsetting influencers didn’t draw attention to it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts