ReFlEcTiOn

Every single day I go onto Snap chat, Instagram and YouTube, but this ain't it chief. There is so much influence on these apps, people who post have even have given themselves the job title of an Influencer. For me, media makes me want to thrive and live just like the richest of the rich. It makes me forget about reality and makes it feel like reaching my goals is so much easier than it truly is. I honestly don't know how it truly effected my life because I have grown up with so much media around me, it feels weirdly normal now. Since taking this class, my attitude towards consuming media has not changed much, because honestly, how do I change after years of seeing the same kinds of things everyday. I have gotten to used to it. It takes excitement out of seeing new things because the chances are, I have seen it before on the internet. My dad still gets this new media enjoyment and just last night, I went into the living room and walked in on him watching a Tosh.O interview of an Instagram personality.  He was dying laughing after watching what this kid does to gain attention. When commercials and ads pop up, it is obvious what techniques they are using to get me to buy the ad, especially when so many websites use Cookies. It is so weird googling math help and then the next ad on YouTube is an ad that literally states, "Are you still scrolling through YouTube to teach yourself Math?" Yes indeed I was, but no way am I going to just click on that, I know that their silly tricks and shenanigans.

In the beginning of the school year, I was still going through the same apps everyday and still today I am. As much as it may help to just avoid media, so much I do is connected to the media, but not really. I feel like I need to open up snaps even though I really don't have to. I still feel like I have to like all of my friend's post even if I don't even like it.

Media literacy is essential these days because we all are affected by media in one way or another and if we do not understand how companies attract us, we will fall into the grasps of many media traps. Not only will be sucked in by everything but we will also believe everything, no matter how misleading or vague it is. Essentially, if we could not analyze the media, we would all be similar. Also being able to establish yourself with things other than the media gives us more self expression and uniqueness.

After composing many media analyse, it gives me a better insight on how messages are created and revealed to certain groups of people. Everyone analyzes different messages in different ways which is why it is key for marketers to attract the widest viewership possible. Each time I read a different post from a student, there would be at least one thing that I would disagree with and I'm glad I am able to keep my opinion, despite the beliefs of others.Overall, I feel as if this has helped me recognize the ways media has affected me and other people.

Comments

Popular Posts